Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cheesy Thyme Split Pea Soup

Where has the week gone? I heard on the news - that this winter has been the worst in 25 years, so it is perfect for having soup!

Although, I haven't heard the dinner bell being rung lately, I made a Cheesy Thyme Split Pea Soup and took it over to my daughter's house for lunch. I served this soup with toasted sourdough bread, which had the right flavor to bring the best out of this soup. You will be in for a treat when you try this recipe.


Cheesy Thyme Split Pea Soup - Souper Sarah

Hearty thick and cheesy pea soup which takes on a new taste with sour cream and herbs.

INGREDIENTS
Serves 4-5
1 small pkg of split peas
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoon parsley
2 tablespoon butter
2 boxes of (32 oz each) of chicken broth
2 to 3 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 teaspoon sea salt
a dash of cayenne pepper


1- Rinse the peas. Soak for 2 hours in warm water.






2 - Saute onion and celery until soft in butter.













3 - Bring chicken broth to a boil. Drain peas ( saving some liquid for thinning), add peas and
sauteed vegetables.

4 - Simmer, covered for about 1 hour until peas are tender. Add thyme leaves.

5 - Process the soup with a hand blender until smooth.














6 - Reheat soup and thin, if needed.

7 - Add sour cream, cheese, fresh parsley, and salt. Season to taste. Reheat, again and serve in
warmed soup bowls.
















I like my Oyster crackers in this soup too! Another garnish that is good, is sourdough croutons and so easy to make. Just preheat your oven to 400. Cut bread in small cubes and place on cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it; brush with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes until golden and crispy. Let cool and store in an airtight container. You can reheat them in the oven before serving.

I first made this soup from "My Great Recipes" cards that I would receive in the mail in the "80's". It was with great anticipation each month to see what exciting recipes would be included. I have tweaked several of the ingredients and added some.

The pictures this week were a challenge, but I think I will breeze through them next week. Speaking of next week, my souper Mom will be here with one of the family favorite!

Happy souping until we meet again!

Souper Sarah

PS: I'm still working on the ingredient spread sheet.

3 comments:

  1. I think I put the comment for this recipe on the wrong soup. I will repeat. I am looking forward to getting the items I need and to figure the points.
    It looks good. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup is fine enough for Christmas dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete