Sunday, January 3, 2010

Corn-Potato Chowder

This being the beginning of a new decade, it is time to try old and new soups that give comfort to the soul. January 1st was certainly that type of day (cold weather and relaxing with family). My favorite son-in-law helped setup the blog for me to start my journey this year. He even brought me a case of my favorite Olde Cape Cod Oyster Crackers -Exclusively baked by Westminster. If you haven't tried them, you should - they are crunchy and have been made the same way since 1828 (even our dog Sammy likes them). I made a Corn-Potato Chowder for the family to celebrate the New Year with. There were great comments on it -"You can make this the next time I come here to eat!" So here is my recipe - let me know how you like it.

Corn-Potato Chowder - Souper Sarah

This simple, thick and creamy soup is full of country flavor.

INGREDIENTS
Serves 6-8
3/4 cup diced onion
1 cup diced ham
6 cubed medium potatoes
1 pint corn (I used frozen corn)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1/2 cup half & half
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bay leaf
salt
white pepper
dash of cayenne pepper


Heat butter and olive oil in a large soup pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute, until light brown in color.

Add ham, frying and browning the meat. Mix 1 cup chicken broth and cook down to half of the broth.

Add potatoes, bay leaf, salt and rest of chicken broth and bring to a boil,then simmer for 20minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Put corn in and stir around the soup and add the milk,half & half, salt, white pepper,and cayenne pepper; cooking down the liquid to soup consistency. Season to taste.

Let the soup set for 5 minutes before serving.


This will be a weekly blog with some quest soupers who have been an influence on my soup making. Our family is blessed with great cooks, so I'm sure you will find it interesting. An ingredient's spread sheet with each week's entry will let us know what to stock the pantry with. You can tell I like accounting! Hopefully I will have pictures for our next blog.

Happy souping until we meet again!

Souper Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that this was great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete